Translate

Sunday, June 3, 2012

What I Learned from Eating Desserts in Mexico!

Recently after a stretch of a period of long working hours and  a year and a half of no holidays I finally decided I needed a break. I took a vacation in every sense of the word including my job, routine, working out five to six times per week and from my stringent six meals a day diet. It was long over due! During my week off in Cancun I  let myself indulge and ate foods I wouldn't normally eat. Yes, I went for desserts, breads and the sinful carbs! At least they were sinful for me. I made sure that I ate well balanced meals but at a buffet spread I wouldn't stop myself from the desserts! I thought I was making the most of my holiday but what I didn't count on was learning about a major relationship I have with food and how it was affecting me in a negative way.

Three days into the trip I woke up with severe neck pain. I could hardly move my neck. I wasn't going to let it stop me from enjoying my time at Mexico but the discomfort got the best of me. I tried rest, massage and pain killers but this pain was relentless and I figured that there was something deeper in it's existence.  I decided to take a walk along the beach and I called on to my guides and Angels for insight as to why I was getting this pain during my well deserved holiday. As I walked with intention and allowed the waves in the back to drown all the action of the beach I opened myself up and turned in to what thoughts and feelings I was getting from them. It's actually so much easier to tune into divine guidance when your surrounded by natures beauty. It relaxes you, takes the stress away and makes you more receptive to their messages. What I heard next really surprised me. I heard the word 'guilt.' I thought at first that there was a mistake so I asked them my impeding question again. They said what I heard the first time and that was 'guilt.' I asked them for further explanation. What the Angels said to me was that the pain in my neck was the result of the feelings of guilt I felt for enjoying food that I was indulging in. Now this took me by surprise but when I thought about it they were absolutely right. I recalled feeling satisfied in indulgence but then the guilt would set in after every meal. I immediately thanked them for the divine insight and continued my walk as now I had plenty to think about.

For the next few days the pain in my neck started to resolve as I began to heal my relationship with food. It brought to light yet again how our bodies are always the biology of our psychology. Every thought leaves an imprint in us and when our thoughts are harmful they quite literally cause physical issues in our body.  The pain is the signal that our thoughts and emotions are out of balance and so healing must begin, at least I think, by correcting what we are thinking. As the emotions created by our thoughts, in other words how we feel, can have a direct response in our bodies. I was reminded of how guilt is a negative emotion and it does not serve us positively. So that was the first step.

The next was learning about my relationship with food. I was so strict with my diet and hard on myself that I decided that eating desserts was something to feel guilty about. If we buy into that consciousness we'll never enjoy food because we're always punishing ourselves for eating what we are so called not supposed to. The truth is our feelings about what we eat really determines the outcome on our bodies. I'm not saying to clean out the buffet table of the dessert selection! But life is about creating moments that are in alignment with feeling good about ourselves for the choices we make. If 90% percent of the time we are living a life making healthy nutritional choices then some indulgence definitely won't harm us. I was clearly being too hard on myself. I learned that I needed to be kinder to myself. If I'm going to have a dessert then I had to learn to enjoy  everything about it. That includes both during and after I eat it!

This journey is always a learning experience. I feel that our relationship with food can teach us a lot about how treat ourselves. I didn't realize just how badly I was punishing myself and as such disconnecting myself from some of the joys of life. I also learned that exercising and dieting are important but our perceptions of how it makes us feel is more important. I've now started to pay more attention as to how my choices in food are making me feel. My intention I've set forth is to always treat myself with kindness.

Angel Blessings to ALL



2 comments: